January 14, 2005

word for the day - jamais vu

Merriam-Webster defines deja vu as:

1 a : the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time b : a feeling that one has seen or heard something before

2 : something overly or unpleasantly familiar

I had this experience today, when a friend sent me the picture story below

for a bigger view, click this

I seem to remember having seen it before, when exactly, I can no longer recall. Nevertheless, it still didn't fail to amuse me.

Still on the subject of deja vu, I remember a college professor telling us about an experience called jamais vu which is the exact opposite of deja vu.

Word Spy defines the sensation as:
The illusion or impression of never having experienced something that has actually been experienced many times before

No comments:

Post a Comment