March 12, 2005

defending our ideals

Ragazza's post as I understood it.
(published with consent)

I want to flee the hands of those who have enslaved me, to secretly escape and to find a life rich with love and happiness, but inexorably my dreams blew with the wind, deserting me. It is very difficult to find an opening that will lead me towards you and to a new life.

By now he has done all he could... Alone he lay in his cell, breathing in that sickening stench. And somehow I find myself tethered to him with cords just as sickening. Through a small window I can see the light of day. It illuminates my face. I try to go near it, to breathe pure air but the cords rubbing my skin deters me. Harder still I try until my skin breaks. Amidst the burning pain, I am overwhelmed with hatred;
hatred so compelling I gnash my teeth with great force.

Such nightmare. I ask myself: what's the point of life if I can't live it? Wouldn't it be better to put an end to everything so I could forget the suffering? Why go on hoping
that the days and nights will pass calmly by? Oh the unjustness of it! I am condemned by a crime that I have not committed, a crime that I must pay with my own life.

I hear a voice inside my head answer. "A lot of people live a life of Calvary. The secret is in not giving in. Others lose hope, but others live with the wisdom that the world will change for the better. They hold on to this thought till the end..."

And so I ask myself further: what then should I do? Should I continue defending my ideals of love and happiness or do I allow death to conquer me? I thought about this for days even though I already knew I would be executed soon and my death would be without dignity.

I thought and thought until it was too late for thoughts. He was near. He was covered in dark fabric. Death. He opened my cell door, cut my cords loose and carried me towards the liberation of my life...

Translation made possible by freetranslation.com

No comments:

Post a Comment