September 05, 2004

on writing a tagalog romance

When the idea of writing a Tagalog romance novel first entered my mind, I was confident I could wing it easy. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl in the end--how hard could it be?That was what I thought and boy was I wrong. It wasn't as effortless as I imagined at all. It's not enough that my story didn't have any loopholes, that my sentence structure's clean, that my syntax spotless. All these were necessary, yes, but not as vital as making sure I fleshed out my plotline in such a way that I am able to invoke emotions from my readers. This is easier said than done, believe you me.
That is why it pains me to see that after more than a decade of being on the shelves, most still regard Tagalog romance novels (not to mention us writers of such) as mediocre. People who "open their legs to money" that was how a renowned Filipino novelist and essayist once described us. Needless to say, his analogy upsets me.
I admit, it's easier to get a Tagalog romance novel published nowadays because the demand is there. In this regard, you could say I sold out. But then again--and this is just me--what's the use of writing something that only a handful can understand and appreciate? That is, if what I write gets published at all.
Granted, Tagalog romance novels are devoid of socio-political commentaries but there are other equally if not more important insights we share in lieu of this. In particular, life lessons, faith in people, the value of communication, courage to face one's fears, being the owner of one's emotions etc. As a writer, I try to infuse these as themes in my books and I'm certain others like me do too.Okay, so our plot lines may be simple and yes overused. But there is nothing wrong about simplicity, is there? And the beauty of using a tried and tested plotline is the challenge it brings, how to twist it and make it seem new again...

No comments:

Post a Comment